You may want to try making squash leche flan, an alternative to the traditional leche flan made from eggs. Squash, or kalabasa, is much cheaper. This vegetable has been known to be good for the eyes. Your kids will surely love this! So try this squash leche flan recipe and tell me what you think by posting on the comment section. Thanks!
What you need
For every cup of mashed squash, you’re going to need
1 cup condensed milk
1/4 tsp vanilla
2 tsp. brown sugar (to be caramelized)
1. Peel the squash and cut into cubes for easy cooking. Boil the squash for about 10-15 minutes or until soft. Drain squash well. Return to pan over low heat. Shake pan gently until any remaining water evaporates. Using potato smasher or fork, mash the squash thoroughly.
2. In a bowl, combine mashed mixture, milk, egg, and vanilla.
3. Caramelize sugar in pan mold (llanera).
4. Pour mixture into prepared pan mold. Cover with foil if pan mold is without cover.
5. Cook in a steamer for 20-25 minutes or until done. Note: Start timing when the water boils in the steamer.
Top of Page